LT-1 questions from a beginner

Joe Gervais gervais at rtrman.engr.sgi.com
Sat Apr 4 02:48:26 GMT 1998

Dave,

I'm nearly in a similar boat.  I'm putting a 93 LT1 in my 61 Vette, and helping
a buddy put a 91 L98 in his 33 Ford Roadster.

Two resources I'd recommend is the JTR engine swap manual (www.jtr.com) and the
helm manual for the doner car. If you're running a 95 camaro PCM and harness,
I'd consider that the doner. This will answer questions like your knock sensors
and the like. Mike Knell's JTR books talk about moving knock sensors - not a
big deal.

With the camaro PCM code, you should be okay with your VAT. Vettes were more
complex, and you're better off programming it out.

Earlier this week, I saw a post about using 100 ohm resisters instead of
solenoids (like EGR and AIR) to keep the PCM happy.

As far as removing the MAF, you're better off with a 92/93 ECM setup and
harness. These were batch fire injectors (fire all four injectors at a time per
bank) rather than sequential like the 94 and up, but also were speed density
and didn't use the MAF.  Switching from one to the other can be an expensive
proposition, which may be better solved by selling your 96 motor and buying a
92/93 motor.

Diacom makes scanning software that runs on a Laptop. Roughly $300 for the
basic model and $500 for the advanced one.  I don't know about programming
tools for the PCM. Everything I've seen says that other than Hypertech's tool
which doesn't do a whole bunch more than let you change rear end ratios, it's
find a shop to send the PCM in for reprogramming.

Joe

Joe Gervais                   gervais at sgi.com
Product Manager               (650) 933-7479 voice
High Performance Networking   (650) 964-0811 fax
Silicon Graphics              www.sgi.com

2011 North Shoreline Blvd, Mail Stop 08L-855, Mountain View, CA 94043-1389