Marine FI was RE: Projection

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Sat Apr 4 04:15:09 GMT 1998

Clare Snyder wrote:

> Shannen Durphey wrote:
> > Don't know how big the lakes
> > are where you are, but we can and have been a long way from
> > shore and people when the boat broke down.  Not fun.
>
> A simple carburetor and point ignition is not foolproof either - as I
> found out about 3 miles out from Murray Harbour PEI one warm summer day
> in 1973 - and again on the Chobe river in Botswana southern Africa about
> a year later. Got to the point I didn't want to be in a boat more than
> jumping distance from shore. One reason I'm not too thrilled about 2
> strokers in aircraft - I can swim a bit, but my arms get tired when I
> try to fly!!
   ha.
> I know you guys are talking 4 stroke, automotive derived marine engines,
> but the point still holds. In many cases I'd rather trust electronics -
> a ludite I am not.
> >
> > One item to note would be that the ecm usually used with the
> > 4.3, the 1227747, is designed to be mounted inside a vehicle
> > and is not watertight.
> >
> > Have fun, whatever you do.
> > Shannen
>
> --
>                                _/\_
>                        --|-----([])-----|--
>                          S    0/  \0    B
>          Alls well that ends well!! www.snyder.on.ca is back
>                   E-Mail service is back to normal
>                   To avoid bouncing E-Mail messages
>                     Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
>                                 OR
> Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
> spammers!!!
> It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
> Turkeys!!!

Points or electronic ignition are fine. But increasing
complexity adds more potential for problems.  I trust an
electronic ignition module setup, but would be far less
trusting of a converted automotive engine system. Far far
less.

Would probably offer to wait by the radio on shore in case
anything happened. ; )

Anyone else find they're constantly looking at a marine
engine when running a long stretch at 5500 RPM and just
waiting for a bang?
Just for curiosity's sake, what do some of you 4 cycle
marine guys redline at? What engine?

Shannen