Marine FI was RE: Projection

mailohost at cyberhighway.net mailohost at cyberhighway.net
Mon Apr 6 03:47:13 GMT 1998

>Anyone else find they're constantly looking at a marine
>engine when running a long stretch at 5500 RPM and just
>waiting for a bang?
>Just for curiosity's sake, what do some of you 4 cycle
>marine guys redline at? What engine?

My 351W in an inboard 'tournament' Malibu Skier turns all of 3900 rpms.
It's low 'cause I live at 4500 ft elevation. I'm in the process of
adding GT-40 heads and converting to a roller cam to get back what's
lost to altitude.

You have a point about reliability, but I still want to pursue FI
because of the frequent trips I make to high elevation lakes (6500 ft).
I'm also after nearly instant starts:  My setup takes a fair amount of
cranking when fully warm.  I expect I'll carry my old carb and mech.
fuel pump on board with me just in case...

Funny, but I don't worry about this setup going bang.  Don't know why,
just doesn't worry me.  Now my old Evinrude 125 horse, THAT one DID go
bang.  Twice.  Once the propshaft broke and a nearly new stainless prop
headed for the bottom, and once a piston pin broke.  Actually made it
back on three.

Mike Jones