DFI open/closed loop problems

Robert Wilkinson rw at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 6 04:08:57 GMT 1998

> just stays into open loop. Idle, cruise, whatever, it is still in open
> loop. A weird symptom is the 02 is always 806mV at whatever throttle I'm
> at. I richened the entire fuel map 10% to raise the o2's, but it still

1rst, a constant 806 mV o2 reading indicates a *very* rich condition, and
the A/F bar will stop toggling when this happens.  Try leaning up the fuel
values in that area, and see if you can get the bar to start toggling.

2nd, how do you know it's in open loop??  The only way I know of to
determine that is to see if the A/F bar is toggling or not.  There are 4
possible conditions:
1: bar is there, but doesnt toggle;  means way too rich.
2: bar is not there at all; means it is in closed loop.
3:  bar is on right side of 14.7; means it's too lean.
4:  bar is toggling to the left of 14.7, means you're values are good in
that area (for cruising and light throttle).

'86 Z28 350 DFI Richmond 6-speed
Robert Wilkinson
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~rw