Return of the diy_EGOmeter

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Thu Apr 9 00:00:00 GMT 1998

Hey Maties.

Didja miss me? Hee. Yeah, ya know what they say, "absence makes the
heart grow fungus", or sumpin like at.

Anyway, I was s'posed to phone home more brain surgery results on ole
UEGO, but then a historic aviation event delayed it, and now I'm
starring in a live episode of Invasion of the Viral Body Snatchers.
Sigh.

Anyway, I DO have some progress to report. I've just about got the proto
for the EGOmeter wired (perfect for convalescing), and have even that
trick gizmo Frank found in the NTK box built in, where it protects from
pumping the oxygen ion cell (geez, do yous guys remember any of this;
seems like eons, only been couple weeks, tempus foogit, eh?) until the
O2 measurement cell has warmed and made a pass through stoich on it's
way to really-lean-cuz-it's-in-open-air. This seemed better/more snazzy
than the Horiba simple time delay of 100secs. But both probably would
work equally well, I guess. By using the NTK scheme, if you power the
meter off and then on again, you don't wait the extra 100secs, cuz since
the sensor's warmed up already, it immediately gets through stoich, and
poof, you're up and running. Frank tested the NTK this way too, and that
IS how it works; no delays if the sensor is already warm.

Speaking of other delays I have to note, is that Barrett did put me in
contact with his O2 Meter guy who's built them before, and from what
I've seen he really does know his stuff; just that I haven't had time to
strike up the dialog just yet and compare notes. But it's a comin,
honest engine. Give me another week before you tar and feather me for
dragging my virus-infested butt. Whimper. Man how can such tiny lil
critters make you feel like sucha pieceOyou-know-what.

Gar-flu-gel-nose (sounds more musical if you say it faster)