Programming 101

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Apr 13 15:38:51 GMT 1998

If you have not been following this series please refer to the archives,
and use the search for programming 101.  Again this is for educational
purposes, and is my opinion, and experiences.  Your
results will vary.  Prom reprogramming is serious business, and not
to be taken lightly.  Again if you find errors in my writtings please
e-mail me at: nacelp at bright.net  .  If you have any tables, or known
switch locations I would appreciate you sharing them with me or the
list.  Not as a matter of power/control I'd like to hear about them, and
you'll get the credit for the contribution (if you want it).  But, I'm
trying
to organize this into a logical progression, and format.

I think now would be a good time to cover some protection for
tuning.
  There are two areas for the knock sensor retard limits, one being
for WOT it would be 017F-0187, and for non WOT 0188-018C.  The first of the
two areas is by rpm, and the other appears to be MAP related.  In either
case, I'd just set the entries to 44, and be done with it.
  On some scan tools they use knock counts for the display of
knock sensed, and others use degrees.  IMHE, the knock counts
equate to twice the actual degrees.  ie, with a OTC scanner if I
find 6 knock counts, then I know my timing is 3 degrees off.  If
you do the hex to dec, and multiply by 90, and divide by 255, you
get 24.  Which seems to work out to 12 degrees of retard, which
should all but cover the worst of circumstance (ie bad tank of fuel).
No worries mate
Bruce     Rumor control is saying that in the final episode of
               Seinfeld they all wear, yep, Cone Shaped Hats