Output of distributer's magnetic pickup

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Wed Apr 15 03:12:09 GMT 1998

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:05:47 -1000 "Paul E. Bueltmann III"
<paulb3 at gte.net> writes:
>Bruce Plecan wrote:

Energy
>> >Ignition) systems - both coil-in-cap and the external coil module.
>> >
>> >This is rather obscure info, but maybe someone can help me.
>> >
>> >1) What is the voltage output of the ignition pickup coil that is
used
>> >for the Motorcraft Duraspark?
>> >
>> >2) What voltage is required to trigger the GM module?
>> >
>> >Do you know of anyone who has used a Motorcraft distributer to
trigger a
>> >GM module?
>> >
>> >Ray Drouillard
>
>I measured the voltage at the pins on a napa echlin tp49 7 pin and
>measured 3 volts at low rpm and 5 volts at the high rpm don't know if I
>was measuring from the right pins. The pins I used were the b pin and +
>pin on the 3 wire side.
>
>later paulb3 at gte.net

Thanks for going to the trouble of measuring your module.  I think you
have a different module, though.

The module I have has five pins on one side and two on the other.  The
"two pin" side goes to the coil.  Three pins on the "five pin" side go to
the ECM (signal out, signal in, and a 5v level that will cause the ECM to
be bypassed if it's missing).  The other two pins go to the magnetic
pickup coil in the distributer.  I'm trying to feed the signal from a
Motorcraft Duraspark distributer into those two pins.  I tried both
polarities.

I would measure the voltage myself, but I don't have access to a 'scope.

Ray Drouillard