GM 1227747 ECM drivers

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Wed Apr 15 19:24:40 GMT 1998

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:48:19 -0500 (CDT), "Gregory A. Parmer"
<gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu> wrote:

>I think a good portion of my problem is
>mixed terminology used on the list. The LM1949
>is a "injector driver" chip, but it's not
>really what I consider the "driver". The
>LM1949 just controls the transistor that
>actually sinks the current, no?  So
>what should I call the transistor? To me
>it's the driver.  Enlighten me.

Well, I'll nose in here. You're right, the terms aren't so tidy. If you
was in the trade, you'd probly still call the LM1949 the "injector
driver" because it does all the smarts, and opt for refering to the
outboard current amp simply as the "external Darlington". Then
everyone's clear.

Don't worry about it too much. When language fails us, we can always
point and say "this thang here".

Garfield