J-bodies and DIS

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Apr 16 02:58:59 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: ABTSZ <ABTSZ at aol.com>
To: diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 7:54 PM
Subject: J-bodies and DIS

>I've been looking thru manuals at the library and I have a few questions:
>1:  I was surprised to find that ALL j-body V-6s use DIS.  From looking at
the diagrams, it seems that the DIS systems work some what on their own, and
that the only interaction with the ECM is the same as would be the case with
a 7-pin HEI module.  In other words, I could do away with the DIS (which
would require a crankshaft signal) and wire it up to a HEI module, and the
computer will still function.  In other words (again) the Sync signal from
the
>crankshaft goes to the DIS module, but doesn't go to the ECM.  The DIS
module just sends a regular pulse to the ECM, exactly as a HEI module would.
Do you know if this is correct?  (my car already incorporates a 4-pin HEI
module so putting in a 7-pin would be pretty much Plug-n-Play.) 2:  I could
find no reference to a VATS module in any of the wiring diagrams I saw, so
maybe those models (87-89 j-body v6 w/ 7730 ECM) don't use it.  That would
be a plus!  Of course this information may be wrong, Does anybody know
>otherwise?
>Thanks for any info,
>Adam

The 730 was also used in 90-92 F-bodies, with a 7 pin distributor.
Might dig a little there.
Cheers
Bruce  Thought it was a family reunion, nope just a contruction zone
             Didn't look like much of party, they all had orange  Cone
              Shaped Hats on..