How does an increase in GPS relate to power output?

lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov
Thu Apr 16 17:40:27 GMT 1998

     Guys:

     Quick question for you all....

     Before we make it back to a dyno, is there any way to calculate an
     increase in power from an increase in MAF readings (GPS)? Here is why
     I ask. A buddy of mine (Brian) just did a head/cam swap and showed a
     pretty decent increase in airflow from his previous runs. He went from
     252 GPS to 294 GPS (if I remember this correctly) from Diacom readings
     (could be off since he has a 96...which Diacom has a bit of trouble
     working with). When we made the earlier reading, he was at the dyno
     where he made 255 RWHP. Now, if I do a simple percent of increase in
     airflow and multiply by his old HP...I get 298 RWHP. Does this work,
     or are there other factors I need to take into account? The air
     pressure now was higher, but the air temperature was lower than when
     he made his dyno run.

     Now...the monkey wrench. On the SAME day he was at the dyno, I was as
     well. I made 278 RWHP with only 264 GPS airflow readings. So, if I do
     an interpolation using these numbers, I end up with nearly 400 RWHP he
     will be making. Now, the 298hp above seems a bit light, but the 400
     seems high (would be nice if it is correct though). So, first of all,
     does anyone have a formula that predicts power output based on airflow
     in GPS? Second, I assume it isn't a linear relationship based on the
     above....but should it be?

     Any feedback would be appreciated!

     Larry Kurek

     BTW..please copy my Lkurek at anl.gov address so I can get your response