4D installation

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Apr 16 20:33:17 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Jones <rmjones at cyberhighway.net>
To: 'diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu' <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 16, 1998 3:35 PM
Subject: 4D installation

>So wadda y'all think?  The 600 cfm carb had a 1" aluminum spacer under it.
> Do I use it w/ the 4D I'm installing?  I've forgotten why the spacer is
>there.  Is it to improve the metering signal to the carb or is it for
>runner tuning, i.e. to lower the rpm at which peak power occurs?  Sheesh.
> Getting old.  My CSH is getting rusty.
>
>Mike J.

IMHE, It's a matter of cylinder filling/reversion damping, tuned lenghts
and moon phases.  But keeping the same plenum volume/runner
lenghts from Carb to TBI has worked out well for me.  Also the
best air filter/housing wound up being the same.  I tried optimizing
all variables, as much as possible, and the same combination
worked from carb to TBI.  But, they were right to begin with..
  On some of the weber carb'd stuff some engines liked a certain
tuned lenght, with the jets/venturis a certain distance from the intake
valve, ie some like long stacks on the carbs with no spacers, and some liked
really short stacks with long spacers between the carb,
and manifold.
Not a worry
Bruce         Imagine a world where everyone wore a Cone Shaped
                   Hat proudly....