Web posting of vital info

Matthew B. Watts mwatts at facility.cs.utah.edu
Fri Apr 17 00:36:57 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Flanagan <flanagan at worldnet.att.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 16, 1998 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: Return of the diy_EGOmeter (YES, it's finally ALIVE!!)

>Great, let me know if there is any way you want the interface/layout to be.
>Also, where do we want to put it?  We could maybe put it on the DIY_EFI web
>page, let me know who to contact about that, or I can get some free space
>somewhere, Tripod runs an excelent service.  I would like to see more things
>like this in the group, there is so much knowledge in this group that needs
>a place so it can be easily accessed by it's members.  The FTP site is
>clumsy and archaic.  We could put lots of reference materials, and other
>circuits, whatever on the web.  I would be happy to help out with this
>process.  Maybe set the overall layout, which is the toughest thing to do.
>Making is compatible for all browsers is tough, and I might be able to talk
>my friend into making some nice graphics for it.  We both are making the
>homepage for our high school, www.mindspring.com/~brookwoodhigh/   Through
>the web we can make a lot of information easily accessible.

Hey Scott,

Some tips for the layout...

Have an area for "Special Projects" such as the EGOmeter and hopefully
many others of past and to follow.  Another area for "Contributors" having
a little bio information and what not.  A third area for "Links" to other similar
or participating Web sites such as Fred's Automotive Website.  Maybe an
area up front that has an introduction and mail list basics.

As far as compatibility, I'd target mid to upper end browsers.  Don't use
DHTML, ActiveX or XML--too specific and too new for many.  Since anyone
can download a free copy of Netscape 4.04 or there abouts, to run on
most any machine, I'd make sure the site works with that.  I think JavaScript
for the menus and such will probably work out okay.  For images I'd
probably use links instead of just dropping them in any ol' place.  That way
the "text" folks can still get the info they're after and the download speeds
will be faster.  If frames are used, keep them simple so that the individual
HTML files can still be accessed easily with direct links.

Just my twin pennies worth...

Matt
________