Supercharged Lincoln Continentals

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Apr 23 15:26:07 GMT 1998

Daniel,

>boost, except possibly for turbos and supercharged t-birds.  If your 3.8
>is the same as the one used in Tauruses (Tauri?) then _definitely_ not.

The 3.8L V6 engine was used in the mid-sized cars (well, what *I* call
midsized), T-birds, Cougars, and FWD Continentals.  I thought the Taurus
had a 3.0 supercharged engine in the SHO and a 3.3L for the naturally
aspirated version.  Either way, I'm unclear if this engine made it into the
Taurus platform.

Well, the voltage of the MAF does max out with barely any boost, so your
theory might be on the money.

>which replaces the ecu's internal tables, like timing advance and
>injector pulse width with ones which take into account measured boost.

I cannot tell you what the timing is doing... but you make a lot of sense
here. Buick GN's do the same thing, retards timing when the knock sensors
or pressure sensors sense potential trouble.

>from the default tables under boost conditions, you will initially
>experience detonation until the computer adapts.  Your alternative is to

ANd that would explain it "running like crap" for 60 miles when I upgraded
everything - so it was in fact learning its new environment.

>either use an boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator (fmu) or find out
>if you can get a chip burned for your ecu.  I know several sources to
>ask if you're interested.  In the mean time I urge you to be very
>careful with your current setup.

Its been good to me for 3 years... and the only time I have performance
problems is when the boost exceeds 7psi, which is rare.  I've hit the
120MPH speed limitation at just about 7PSI so I think I just lucked out so
far.

Anyway, thanks for the information... its been very educational...

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-