GM 2.8 V6 vs 2.0 4 banger,witch one is more reliable ??

TBK terryk at foothill.net
Fri Apr 24 02:29:49 GMT 1998

You're opening a can of worms here.

The Iron Duke (called a Tech 4 after awhile) had it's moments just like the
2.8L V6 (which wasn't available in the Ciera in 1983. Not until 1985. The
Olds V6 is the Buick V6 3.0L.)

I am most familiar with the 2.8L. In terms of out-and-out failures, the 2.8L
V6 had some problems with the #4 rod but mostly in the HO version (Z code
engine). This was solved by going to a better oil pump. In terms of things
that go wrong, the intake gaskets would leak coolant in the valley if they
were not installed correctly or the RTV at the ends of the intake would leak
oil to the outside. The distributor O-ring would leak oil if the dist was
turned after a year or so. The HO engine is a different beast from the 115HP
stock engines.

I've seen more Iron Dukes with rods out the side of the block than dead
2.8L. By 1983, both had received some changes that made them both
"reasonable". However, I have put 280,000 miles+ on two 2.8L V6's. I let one
break the timing chain intentionally. It basically stopped and bent two
valves. The other got rebuilt because I wanted to do it.

Now if you've confused the 3.0L Buick that came with the Ciera with the 2.8L
Chevy, the 3.0L had it's problems. Probably the biggest is cracked blocks
(in the valley) if they were overheated. They were EXTREMELY unforgiving to
this problem. Second, any loss of oil pressure destroyed the main bearings.
30PSI at idle one moment, 5PSI the next. But other than that, they were and
still are pretty tough motors.

All three, if not abused, not overheated (the 2.8L can handle some pretty
brutal overheating), the oil changed, and maintained were reasonably good by
1983.

Regarding gas mileage, the 2.5L in a Ciera could hit about 28MPG. The 3.0L
about 26MPH, and the 2.8L about 25-27 MPG.

I've owned both V6's and have rebuild several.

With that many miles, hope for the best, but expect the worst.

TK