GM 2.8 V6 vs 2.0 4 banger,witch one is more reliable ??

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Fri Apr 24 02:35:56 GMT 1998

Alain Toussaint wrote:

> having received a call from my cousin who found a good car for sale (i'm
> in search of one) not too expensive (i plan to take some holiday time in
> vancouver in july),he found a old's ciera 83 having'bout 225 000 KM ( 140
> 000 milles,yes the car has lot o'milleage but then,i've got not much money
> to spend on it,but at last,i'm not going to vancouver with him),but now,i
> have a problem arging with mom's chum,he states that the car fuel milleage
> is very low (in the V8 teritory) and the engine is a lot less reliable
> than his 4 banger ( cavalier and sunbird 2.0L ),i want to set the record
> straight,does the cavalier 4 banger is more reliable than the oldsmobile
> 2.8 V6 ?????
>
> thanks a lot.
> Alain
The 2.8 tends to be a troublesome engine, but most of the troublemakers
don't make it 225,000. The mileage is not much worse than the 4, if you
drive the 4 as fast as you do the 6, because the 4 is working it's tail
off. If you take it easy, of course the 4 can do a bit better. There are
several 4s, too. The 2 litre is in the same league as the 2.8 as far as
maintenance is concerned. The old "iron duke" 2.5, like the small block
8, just goes and goes. Sometimes you wonder how, for as noisy and rough
as they can get, and still run. This is the same engine used by Mercury
Marine for the 115 inboard (basically the same as a 63/64 Nova/chevyII).
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!