GM 2.8 V6 vs 2.0 4 banger,witch one is more reliable ??

TBK terryk at foothill.net
Fri Apr 24 04:44:10 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Alain Toussaint <alaint at boisfrancs.qc.ca>
To: TBK <terryk at foothill.net>
Cc: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 23, 1998 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: GM 2.8 V6 vs 2.0 4 banger,witch one is more reliable ??

>> The Iron Duke (called a Tech 4 after awhile) had it's moments just like
the
>> 2.8L V6 (which wasn't available in the Ciera in 1983. Not until 1985. The
>> Olds V6 is the Buick V6 3.0L.)
>
>i remind that whe (mom's and dad) got a ciera 85 a while ago (thinks it's
>2 or 3 years ago),and whe got a lot of milleage out of it (not MPG,i dont
>care much for it as long as it's not less than 15 MPG),the car died at
>about 215 000 KM ( eh......13X 000 milles...it's a guess only,i dont have
>my calculator near me),the car died because of a melted catalytic
>converter and part of the unburned exhaust made it way into the intake
>manifold plugging thing there (and talk about no power then,my mother had
>to do WOT on the highway for maintaining the pace and not be too far
>behind trafic flow,it's just whe where having no clue at what's going on
>then)

Cat's can be like that!

>> I've seen more Iron Dukes with rods out the side of the block than dead
>> 2.8L. By 1983, both had received some changes that made them both
>> "reasonable". However, I have put 280,000 miles+ on two 2.8L V6's. I let
one
>> break the timing chain intentionally. It basically stopped and bent two
>> valves. The other got rebuilt because I wanted to do it.
>
>not bad,280 000 milles !!!!! (i'm stunned)

I've had others say that, but synth oil and regular changes. And yes, they
were abused (X-11)

>> Now if you've confused the 3.0L Buick that came with the Ciera with the
2.8L
>> Chevy, the 3.0L had it's problems. Probably the biggest is cracked blocks
>> (in the valley) if they were overheated. They were EXTREMELY unforgiving
>> this problem. Second, any loss of oil pressure destroyed the main
bearings.
>> 30PSI at idle one moment, 5PSI the next. But other than that, they were
and
>> still are pretty tough motors.
>
>does these motor share part with the 3.8 motor ??

yep, same block in that era. Different crank and pistons though. PFI on the
3.8L. 130HP vs 110HP for the 3.0L.

>> All three, if not abused, not overheated (the 2.8L can handle some pretty
>> brutal overheating), the oil changed, and maintained were reasonably good
by
>> 1983.
>>
>> Regarding gas mileage, the 2.5L in a Ciera could hit about 28MPG. The
3.0L
>> about 26MPH, and the 2.8L about 25-27 MPG.
>
>nice milleage,do you think i'll be able to do at least 20 when doing about
>75 to 80 MPH on the highway ??

Yes. If the engine is running good. 80 MPH is pushing it, probably.

>> I've owned both V6's and have rebuild several.
>>
>> With that many miles, hope for the best, but expect the worst.
>
>i'll be able to see that tomorow,also,thanks for the web site.
>
>p.s.is the stock suspension be able to cope with 80 MPH on the highway
>(read,if the suspension is in relatively good shape).

Sure, just don't turn.

>thanks a lot.
>Alain

I had a 1984 Olds Ciera ES with a 3.0L V6 and 2.53 gears. 105MPH wide open
at 3500 RPM. Got about 22 MPG at that speed. F41 suspension. Handled pretty
dang good for the most part. Could easily out run a Festiva. Not much else.