Northstar ECM

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Apr 27 01:57:27 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Datcuk <pdatcuk at snip.net>
To: EFI List <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Sunday, April 26, 1998 6:51 PM
Subject: Northstar ECM

>  I am hoping someone can help me.  I am working on swapping a Caddy
>Northstar from a '95 Eldorado into a Fiero.  I have the factory service
>manuals for the engine, and from what I have gathered, the ECM communicates
>with the other computers/modules(i.e. ABS, antislip, etc) through a common
>serial link.  Since I am not including these various modules, I am
wondering
>how the ECM is going to react by them not being there.  Am I going to need
>to provide some signal to the computer to fool it, or is there a way to
>deactivate the serial connection.
>
>Thanks,
>Pete Datcuk
>Mechanical Engineer
>Sewell, NJ
>'87 Fiero, some day to be Northstar'ed :-)
>'67 Jeep Commando, to be risen from the dead ;-)

As it was explained to me (pulling pin on fire extingusher), it's
called a bus line.  When one device wanted to talk to another,
it would ground the line to interupt, and then transmit what it
needed to say.  The devices didn't "expect" to hear each other
just talk to each other, when needed..
  Course this was a vocational class explaination for motor heads.
Cheers
Bruce     Was mowing the yard today, and found a car..  Funny
               things can happen when ya wear your Cone Shaped
               Hat when doing chores..