Holden Commodore, Insurance, Aerodynamics.

Steve Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Apr 29 01:38:00 GMT 1998

>G'day to all the Aussies out there.
>Does anyone know anything about putting the EFI 3.3L VK Commodore motor into
>a VC Commodore? Does anyone have any idea how much it should cost to do?
>Also, does anyone know of an insurance company that has "third party, with
>fire and theft" that will let a 21 year old have extractors (ie. the ones on
>the VK engine - AAMI (who I am with at the moment) does not, and I would
>like to keep the same type of insurance policy, if possible). Does anyone
>know how to make the VC Commodore more aerodynamic without having expensive
>body kits? I'm told that the air flow separates from the car at the rear
>edge of the roof. How can this be fixed?

Be simpler and cheaper to just bolt on the VK EFI gear to your existing
engine, I suspect.  Certainly I know someone who did this with an LJ
Torana, BUT he used a Haltech ECU to run the VK hardware.  This is the only
way to go if you plan on any engine mods as the VK uses a version of the
Bosch L-Jet system (analogue) which is not particularly suited to
'modification', although there are things that can be done.  I've seen
complete VK EFI systems advertised recently for around $700 or so, but
should be able to do better than that.  A Haltech F9 (fuel only) costs
about $1100, but for $1400 you could get a Wolf 3D which would probably be
better (fuel and ign).

Try Shannons or ring a few brokers for modified vehicle insurance.  Also
CAMS offers mod. veh. insurance through QBE, but you have to be a member of
an affiliated club.  Costs about $200 pa for TPO, but there is an option
for fire and theft (at extra cost, of course !!).

How _do_  you make a brick more aerodynamic...........   ;-)

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089