Motronic 1.0. Volumetric meter-air mass meter conversion

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 2 01:03:32 GMT 1998

> From:          Luquette at aol.com
> Date:          Thu, 30 Jul 1998 23:35:58 EDT
> To:            DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject:       Motronic 1.0.  Volumetric meter-air mass meter conversion

> Does anyone have experience/information on doing an air mass meter retro fit
> on a Motronic 1.0 system?  The car is a 1985 BMW 745 with the clunky flapper
> plate style volumetric meter.  I'm doing some upgrades and want to try to get
> more accurate air flow readings.
> Also, I spoke to Jim C about the ECU in this car some time ago.  Is he still
> on this Digest?  I still have those Motronic papers from SAE.
> THe M1.0 system in this car is different from the system in the regular BMWs
> of the same time.  The 745i was a factory turbo car (3.5L I-6 with K-27 turbo)
> and had a couple extra chips on the board and for this fact, I was told it
> would be close to impossible to decode.  Any changes?

You might try some type of intercept system.  I made one for L-jet
system to modify airflow signal based on O2 sensor.  I put 256K of
EEPROM on it, but have not worked on it in a while to adapt to a user
programable performance device.
I also have collection of SAE papers, it would be nice to archive the
numbers, titles and brief abstract of some of the more uefull
classics.
Alex