Pulldown resistors for TPS MAP

goflo at pacbell.net goflo at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 3 19:20:29 GMT 1998

This is the most likely, and will give 0 to nearly 5V adj

        5V   ______

                   /  5K pot, linear taper
                   \
                   /<------ Variable voltage to ECU input
                   \
                   /
                   |                   |

                 Ground

                          /*  less likely  */

5V pull-down  _____
voltage from       |
ECU                |
                   /  5K linear taper pot
                   \
                   /<---------/\/\/\-------- Ground
                   \            1K
                   /

               No connection

This will give approx 1V to 5V adj. If you need less than 1V
( say .9V ) use a smaller current limiting resistor, but at
least 500 ohms or so. This resistor prevents shorting the 5V
input to ground at the high end of the pots travel ... If the
ECU uses this scheme the current is probably internally limited
but we dont need to find out the hard way that it is'nt. It is
Monday, after all.

If this doesnt make sense describe the connections as fully as
possible and we'll beat on it some more.

Regards, Jack