Pulldown resistors for TPS MAP

Gregory A. Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Mon Aug 3 21:35:52 GMT 1998

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 goflo at pacbell.net wrote:
> This is the most likely, and will give 0 to nearly 5V adj
>         5V   ______
>                    /  5K pot, linear taper
>                    \
>                    /<------ Variable voltage to ECU input
>                    \
>                    /
>                    |                   |
>                  Ground

As far as **I** know, this is just like an OEM TPS. I
did this for my MAP also. No smoke yet. As pointed
out...NOT FOR CTS...CTS doesn't need a Voltage, it
needs a Resistance. In which case 2 leads of the pot
will get you there. I have noticed that it doesn't
seem to be linear--now explained by the fact that
the ECM reads the resistance differently at different
temps. Thanks Peter, Tom, Walter and/or whoever else
has been repeating this...

Does anyone care if TPS and MAP have 50k or 200k
pulldowns? Using a 5k pot makes the effect of the
pulldown very small, IMHO.  Movement of the pot is
so sensitive that a few % is the least of your
worries.

The fact that CTS doesn't change linearly has little
effect on anything either since this is a nearly constant
variable.

$0.02,
-greg                   w/ benched '7747