Bench ecms

Lawrence King lawrence at promobility.net
Fri Aug 7 01:48:14 GMT 1998

Hi:

Ideally for any measurement system there is just one point which is
defined to be ground. All sensors should have seperate wires which
lead from this single point (called the star ground). The star ground
should be really close to the ECM (in fact it would be even better if
the star ground was inside the ECM). The same applies to the +5V. Do
not share powers and grounds between sensors. Do not use the frame as
a return path.

The frame may have only 0.010 ohms resistance, but when you crank the
starter it draws hundreds of amps. V=IR in this case R=0.010 and
I=100, hence the voltage drop (V) across the frame is 1 volt, this is
a very significant voltage to your sensors (ie 20% error). Go to the
effort of sopplying seperate pairs (or triples) of wires to each
sensor, it will save you a lot of grief.

		-Lawrence-

--
Lawrence King   lawrence at promobility.net    Ottawa Ontario Canada
70 Buick Wildcat,        71 Lotus Elan,          92 Nissan NX2000