I'm looking at diagnosing problems with a L-Jetronic system

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 7 02:33:29 GMT 1998

> Date:          Wed, 05 Aug 1998 19:35:15 -0400
> From:          Victor Tomanov <vtomanov at home.com>
> To:            diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject:       I'm looking at diagnosing problems with a L-Jetronic system

> The ECU that controls my system doesn't have a diagnostic capacity. I'm
> at a loss at how to figure out if the ECU is running the motor correctly
> and if the mixture is realy what it should be. It seems rich. I'm
> looking for a way to modify the lean rich mixture variable either by
> taping into one of the sensors or adding a pot to the ECU. Does anyone
> have a working knowledge of this injecting system?
> Thanks for any help.

1.) check for vac. leaks.
2)Locate the airflow meter
3.) Look for a blue round cap plug, with 1/4" screw driver gently
tap down on one side and pull out with needle nose.
Take a 6mm allen wrench and turn screw out to lean.
3)Take a pair of large water pump pliers and pop the black cover off,
(some beemer's the air box is upside down, so remove the  3 10mm
mounting nuts loosen the hose clamps and turn it)
Take a scribe and mark the position of the spring clip on plastic
cogged wheel.  Also note relative tension, in case spring flies
loose. Use a 1/4" screw driver and turn cogged wheel to tighten
the spring, to lean.  It varies with cars, try increments of 10
clicks max.
4)Use a phillips screw driver and loosen the wiper arm.
turn very slightly ccw to lean, on some cars if you go to for
lean you will not activate the fuel pump during starting.
5)I have never tried puting a pot in the line.
The lines you can try or air temp. water temp or aiflow
6)I have made a micro computer intercept box, which allows
rich or lean adjustments, if you are intersested.
alex