LT1 swap

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Mon Aug 10 00:18:56 GMT 1998

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Thomas Matthews wrote:

> Can a 90-92 7730 ECM run a early LT1? Specifically, can it understand
> the ignition system without any extra programming? I would swap this
> engine into my 3rd gen Bird which has TPI, this way I could keep the
> orig harness and not have to learn how to program the later ECM's...
> Don't the 92-94 LT1's have something different than the 95-up Optispark?
> TIA
> Tom

They all have optisparks.  The 95+ have a vacuum host added to evacuate
the optispark and hopefully keep it dry.  I have just installed a fully
electronic ignition system that tricks the computer into thinking it works
like the optispark.  I am still uncertain how well it is working.  It
siginficantly changed how the car was running, in terms of how much fuel
the car was used at idle.    The web page for it is:
www.electromotive-inc.com.   The price for it is $799 (with the hardware
to fool the optispark computer).  Without the optispark fooler is is
somewhat cheaper.  I will update everyone on how well my work with this
thing goes.

			Roger
			93 Z28