Motorola Phone Number

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 10 15:52:30 GMT 1998

>From: dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
>Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 11:58:00 -0500
>Subject: Re: Motorola Phone Number
>
> PDFs are absolutely useless to me.  As far as I can tell they're just
>pictures, like .GIFs or .JPEGs.  I can view a PDF in Adobe's fat, slow
>picture viewer thing, or I can print it, but I can't extract any data to
>cut and paste into my notes or source code.  I suppose I could dump a
>PDF to the printer, scan it, OCR it, and proofread it, but I'd just as
>soon find a vendor that knows how to provide data in a normal ASCII
>format.

Uhh...  You do know that you can just cut and paste right of
Adobe's acrobat reader don't you??   Select the little icon on the
tool bar that has "abc" with a dotted box around it...  That will put it
in the selection mode...  Then highlight the section you want and
hit ctrl-insert to copy it to the clipboard...  Then simply paste it
(as ASCII) into the document of your choice...  ...  I think you can
also cut/paste the pictures as well...  ...  PDF files are vector
graphics files (not raster like .jpg, .gif, etc)...  Therefore, you have
a lot more flexibility and control -- it is kind of like having a
MS Word doc or something...  Hence the name "portable document
format" or PDF...

Donald