Injector Driver Module

Jose Rodriguez JRodriguez at impcotechnologies.com
Tue Aug 11 17:52:29 GMT 1998

Orin,

  I also agree that reducing the power supply voltage would help alleviate the heat dissipation, but there are some challenges there too:

  a) If the voltage applied to the injector's coil is reduced, say, to 3.3V, then the power dissipation is reduced by a factor of at least 4. That is the good news.
  b) The bad news, is that with 3.3V we will not have enough current to quickly turn on the injector coil.
  c) So, if we want to have the best of both worlds, then we need to supply Battery voltage for a brief moment, to quickly turn on the injector, and then supply 3.3V for the hold current.
  d) So the injector driver module would require to supply 3.3V (worst case 8 amps!), and briefly supply Battery voltage (4 amps per injector). Not an easy task. I calculated that the total power dissipation using this scheme would be around 22watts.
  e) So, thermally speaking, this seems like a feasible solution, although complicated and expensive.

   I can see now why most of OEM injector module designers would want to use saturated injectors, and not peak and hold!

>>> <Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com> 08/11/98 07:58AM >>>
Orin, You are absolutely correct on both counts. What do you think about
using a switch mode power supply PWM chip ?
         Some of those current mode control chips  unitrode UC3842  might
work. Thanks for the good info.

Don.