Turbo Bypass

Jim Zurlo zurlo at execpc.com
Wed Aug 12 11:22:13 GMT 1998

We bypass from the intercooler inlet to the exhaust manifold just upstream
of the turbine inlet.  This is the best method for maximum efficiency, but
you probably don't care about fuel consumption that much.  It is also
impossible for us to place the throttle valve upstream of the compressor
inlet because turbo manufacturers don't make compressor seals for big
turbochargers and engine response would be very slow.  All of the above
applies to very large engines (~18 liters/cylinder).  For your application
I agree with Gary that the best solution for you would be to put the
throttle upstream of the compressor inlet.  That allows you to avoid the
complication of a bypass valve. Bypassing post intercooler air into the
inlet just heats up your incoming charge since intercooler effectiveness is
never 100%.
Jim Zurlo
zurlo at execpc.com