GM water pumps

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Wed Aug 12 23:44:53 GMT 1998

Hey Steve,

> I need to find a water pump that fits a GM smallblock V8, reverse
> rotation, with a heater core return fitting.  My V8 conversion S-10
> Blazer sprung a leak in the water pump some time ago.  The motor came
> from a '91 Caprice.  That car had some kind of system where the hot
> water can be shut off from the heater core completely.  The water pump
> doesn't have the usual heater core return fitting.  When I swapped the
> motor I just teed the heater return into the lower radiator hose.  Now
> that I have to replace it, I want to get a pump with a return water
> fitting.  It's a serpentine belt system which means it's also reverse
> rotation.  Can someone give me an application that uses a reverse
> rotation V8 water pump with a heater return fitting?  I'm thinking that
> an early 90's full size truck might be the thing, but the parts guy
> didn't seem too anxious to let me go digging through stock.

Dunno what applications would apply, but if it were my project, I would
first look at the aftermarket.  Specifically, edelbrock makes a line of
aluminum pumps and has the reverse rotation Chevys covered.  I ran one
on my big block tow vehicle and loved it.  Performed way better than the
stock one (kept temps down more effectively).  I know Wieand also has
pumps, but not sure about the later model serpentine ones.  Stewart
makes great racing pumps that are flow balanced and likely has the
ability to come up with the reversed impellers as well.  Seems to me
that with an aluminum pump, it would be a no-brainer to add/subtract
heater ports on the top since they are usually just tapped in with a
1/2" NPT.  Good luck.

Later dates.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man ICQ:8353618
'95 Black Impala SS
'96 Black K3500 Extended Cab Duallie 7.4L Vortec
'94 Ducati 900SS CR