Turbo Bypass

Steve maxboost at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 13 03:21:23 GMT 1998

Hmmm.  My '80's draw through turbo mustang (admittedly carbed) had tons of
lag.  It was so bad that as soon as you finished braking for a corner you
could go full throttle and get full boost on the corner exit.

I know that Cosworth, Honda and I think Mercedes CART engines all use 9
throttles currently.  1 per cylinder runner and 1 in front of the
compressor.  In the turbo F1 days only renault and cosworth did it with 1
throttle per bank and 1 in front of the compressor.  All the 4 cyl engines
that had a single throttle in front of the compressor soon switched to 1 in
front of the plenum due to driveability concerns.  The cosworth engines use
a trick 4 bladed butterfly deal that gives the air a pre-swirl as it opens,
but doesn't have a pressure drop across it.

In addition, all of the turbo Group C and GTP cars used 1 throttle per bank
without a byupass valve.

Just my observations,

Steve

>yep.  Flashback: early 70's Accel marketed a kit that did it.  Overspeed at
>part throttle/high load conditions.  But wow! the thing would hit (fast)
with