Turbo Bypass

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Aug 13 08:30:51 GMT 1998

Steve--My reaction is that the throttles downstream of the turbos on the
road race motors were more in the interest of shutting down fast than
anything else--if you prang the car, you don't finish. But these cars are
so much quicker than anything we're talking about, I just don't think than
a half dozen engine revs would make much difference in a road car. Not to
say that you want a huge pressurized plenum.

You were looking in the right place for the lag on the Mustang. The carb.
If you have an intercooler, it gets worse. Think about what goes on if you
try to deal with wet flow through an intercooler. Basically, the fuel will
get in their and condense at inopportune times, and then come out all at
once at maybe even worse times. The squirt from the accelerator pumps takes
way too long to get to where it will do any good, even without an
intercooler.

                                        Regards, Greg