IAC longevity problems

MJones rmjones at cyberhighway.net
Fri Aug 14 14:56:36 GMT 1998

Hello, all:

I have a Holley Projection 4D in a marine application which works very well
except for one bothersome problem:  I can't keep IAC motors alive for more
than a few hours.  The IAC used on the Projection is common to Chrysler
and, I think, GM applications.  The second one just trashed after about 4
hours of engine operation.  Both failed the same way.  Electrically it
seems to work fine, but the threaded rod attached to the pintle seems to
cock and stick.  Wiggling it slightly frees it up until the next time it
sticks.

I've checked the obvious things.  It's not binding in the throttle body,
causing it to wear.  It dosn't get terribly hot, since everything,
including the exhaust manifolds, are cooled to 160 degrees.

Is this a common problem?  I wouldn't think so based on the number of them
in service.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Did I just by coincidence receive
two defective ones?  Holley is no help.

Thanks,

Mike J.