New to list, some questions?

Mike Macpherson mike760 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 18:23:02 GMT 1998

Hi everyone im new to this list and also new to DIY EFI. Since im a
new comer i decided it better to start off modifying EFI before i
start trying to build a system of my own. I am running an 84 Volvo
760Turbo with first generation motronic.

I have a reprogrammed EPROM and a chip holder which i want to install
into the ECU (the chip is soldered to the board) im just a tad nervous
about removing it, does anyone have any tips, does and donts they can
tell me?

I have a second ECU which is the same only its burnt out, ive just
been using it for investigation really, but by looking in it and
comparing it to the Volvo wiring diagrams i found 11 unused pins, but
only five of them were not wired up to anything inside the ECU, so
that left 6 pins wired in but with nowhere to go. I boought a Haynes
EFI manual (ok its not the most advanced book but good for starting
out) and found pin outs for the unit, which is also used on a few BMWs
and one or two othor cars, i matched the wiring to the Volvo diagrams
and all of them matched up exactly, also given was the function of the
othor 6 pins, one of them was OS signal, i have an oxygen sensor which
i was going to hook up to an A/F meter, is it possible that the unit
will accept signals from an O2 sensor? also one of the othor pins was
OS relay driver, ive never seen a relay assosiated with an O2 sensor,
what is the function of this? i thought it may be for the preheater?

anothor of the pins was a TS full load contact, the throttle has an
idle/ full load switch on it, but is only wired for idle contact,
could there also be circuitry for full load contact inside the ECU,
and it be benefitial for me to hook it up?

I had been spending time trying to design a system which timed the
length of injector pulses per mile, to then run a calclation to
involving injector flow rate to give fuel milage, but i then found one
of these pins is an output to fuel milage guage, what sort of unit
could this connect to to fing fuel milage? (i realise some sort of
speedomoter hook up would also be requiered)

Lastly does anyone know any more info about these first generation
systems?

thanks for any help
mike