New to list, some questions?

Walter Petermann corsaro at brokersys.com
Mon Aug 17 23:39:17 GMT 1998

Mike Macpherson wrote:

> I have a reprogrammed EPROM and a chip holder which i want to install
> into the ECU (the chip is soldered to the board) im just a tad nervous
> about removing it, does anyone have any tips, does and donts they can
> tell me?

  This (low tech) method has worked well for me:
  1) Get a brand new wire cutter, the smallest you can find and
     2 ic sockets with machined gold plated pins (don't use a cheap
     chip holder).
  2) Remove any plastic coating on and around the pins on the bottom
     side. Regular flux remover works well on my boards.
  3) Use the soldering iron (25W) and a very small screw driver to
     straighten out the pins on the bottom side.
  4) Cut each leg of the eprom, component side, as close as possible to
     the circuit board (you want to leave the pins on the removed eprom
     as long as possible).
  5) Remove the plastic coating on and around pins on component side.
  6) From the bottom, use the soldering iron and small screw driver
     to push the pins down towards the top side.
  7) From the top side, use the soldering iron and needle nose pliers
     to remove each pin.
  8) Use desoldering braid to suck out the left over solder in the
     through holes.
  9) If some of the solder will not come out with the braid, heat up
     the pad on one side and use a pump 'solder sucker' on the other.
  10)Clean the pads on top and bottom with flux remover. Check very
     closely for solder shorts between pads.
  11)Install and solder ic socket (check pin 1 of socket goes to pin 1
     on board). Clean flux on bottom.
  12)Re-check pin 1 of socket goes to pin 1 on board, insert eprom.
     Check again!

     You can solder the old eprom to the extra ic socket.

     Hope this helped,
       Walter

     PS: Anyone have a de-soldering station for sale?