Motor Swap Questions - Low EFI Content

Kurek, Larry LKurek at ocfexch2.ocf.anl.gov
Tue Aug 18 17:12:37 GMT 1998

	>	My weird-o LT-1 into Audi swap is moving forward again.
I have a
	>couple questions and I hope the minimal EFI content will be
excused.

	Scary thought of this thing running around... :)

	>1)	I'll be hooking up the Painless Wiring harness here in a
couple days
	>and I wanted to know what would happen if I didn't hook up a
VSS.  The car
	>wil be using a 5-spd manual.  I know how to get an adapter, but
I would like
	>to know if it's really needed.

	*If* you hook up all the emissions items (cannister, EGR, etc),
which you have to to pass emissions, AND if you hook up the P/N switch
to have the ECM know when you are in drive, then the VSS is used to trim
fuel/spark curves, EGR operation, idle control, and torque converter
lockup (not needed since you have a 5speed). Since the adapters are like
$70...I'd hook it up.

	>2)	Can GM PCM modules be exposed to the elements inside the
engine bay?

	If it is an external mount ECM. Since you have an LT1, I would
assume it is since that is all they came with.

	>3)	Motor Mounts:  I am looking for a good motor mount setup
that will
	>reduce some vibration.  The position of the engine limits me to
look for a
	>mount that will only allow 0.5" of verticle movement at the
mount point.
	>Anyone know of a rubber type or maybe even something like
Delryn that I can
	>adapt to this project?

	Get a polyurethane one...they make them now. You should get
minimal (less than 1/4") deflection.

	>Bob Dupree
	>	LT-1Q

	TTYL!