Portable A/F (CO) Meter

Chris Wilson chris at maximum-bhp.u-net.com
Wed Aug 19 20:53:26 GMT 1998

In article <58638 at isham-research.demon.co.uk>, Phil Payne wrote:

> Any good tips for a portable CO meter for a non-cat car?
>
> Gunson in the UK make a cheap one, but the output is best used for
> picking lottery numbers.  Others that I've seen are hideously $$$$.
>
> I'm investigating fueling problems in an ur-quattro (MB engine) at
> high revs.  One of the options is to fit a downpipe with an OXS sensor
> boss - but I usually run on leaded fuel and this has a habit of
> destroying said sensors.  One 'expert' I spoke to said that some
> Volvos were at one time fitted with lead-tolerant OXS sensors.  Any
> truth.  Or any part numbers??

99% of CO meters don't like the exhaust gas flow and volume at WOT.To
get a rapid and meaningful read out of CO,you need to use a Bosch
Motorsport Lamda sensor.They are *very* expensive,and the hardware to
display the changes are similarly expensive.Whole package circa £6K

The Motorsport senders are fairly lead tolerant.We regularly run race
engines on these sensors,and they are often on Avgas,which has plenty of
lead in it.Sensors usually last at least 6 months,on an engine
dyno.Never seen one used on a rolling road,but most of our development
is engine dyno based....

Does it *have* to be portable?Can't you get the problem to occur on the
rollers?

--
               Best Regards,
                        Chris Wilson.