Turbo Bypass

Zack zubenubi at inetport.com
Sat Aug 22 15:45:19 GMT 1998

Jason,

It's not a drop in boost through the intercooler, it's a drop in
boost at the outlet of the compressor.  The cooling effect of the
intercooler greatly increases the density of the air going into the
engine, and thus increases the mass air flow capacity of the engine.
To reach the same boost level compressor flow capacity must be
correspondingly increased, either with a larger compressor or by
spinning the same compressor faster.
	The effect is a lot more noticeable on supercharger equipped cars
than on turbo's, since the supercharger compressor turns at a fixed
rate relative to the crankshaft.  On a turbo the increased flow
capability of the engine results in a correspondingly increased
exhaust flow through the turbine, which spins the turbo faster and
partially compensates.

Zack