Turbo Bypass

Zack zubenubi at inetport.com
Sat Aug 22 21:04:57 GMT 1998

Ooops, Jason?!?  That flame was meant for Tom!:-)

Sorry to be a bitch about this folks, but memorizing equations and
having insight into the physics are not the same thing.  You can't
just look at PV = nRT in some book and start flinging it 'round and
applying it everywhere without thinking about what's going on.
	If you want proof that Tom's explanation is wrong, just look at the
specs for some intercoolers some time.  Cartech, for example, makes
intercoolers for GN's with the following specs:

"The intercooler.... measures 27.5"x12"x3" and has less than 0.6 psi
pressure drop across the core at 17 psi with an efficiency rating of
90%"

Now, even the most spectacularly efficient turbocharger is going to
have an outlet temperature somewhere in the vicinity of 300 degrees F
when running 17 psi of boost if the ambient air temp is 80 degrees.
This 90% efficient intercooler will reduce that temperature back to
102 F at it's outlet.  In absolute temperature, the inlet is at 792
degrees Rankine and the outlet is at 594...  the absolute outlet temp
is ~75% of the inlet temp.  Blindly apply PV=nRT to this situation,
given that the inlet pressure (absolute) is 31.7 PSI, and you'll come
to the conclusion that the minimum pressure drop across the
intercooler must be 7.9 PSI.
	That is not just a little wrong, that's -totally- wrong.  Off by a
more than factor of ten.  QED.
	Boost pressure goes down with a better intercooler (or addition of
an intercooler) because the density of the air charge going in the
engine goes up, allowing the engine to pump more air through it,
requiring a corresponding increase in the pumping capacity of the
compressor to maintain the same manifold pressure.  The pressure drop
is at the compressor outlet, not in the intercooler.