GM DELCO transistor quiz

Clare Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Wed Aug 26 01:00:51 GMT 1998

Jake Sternberg wrote:

> I have a few of these doodads, and i'm wondering if they're as useful
> as they look, and if more could be sought out.
>
> it's a two-pin device (plus ground) in a TO-3 / TO-66 case, the kind
> on the back of 70s guitar amps, the big metal kind with two screw
> terminals.
>
> the two leads are labeled E and B (emitter and base) but the strange thing
> is that at the ends of the leads, which are more than half an inch long,
> the leads are flattened at their ends and a hole is poked through this
> flat.. to make it easier to solder wires or a diode on perhaps.  it
> wouldn't be this way if it were for high volume installation to
> circuitboards, it must be hand-wired.
>
> anyway, the printing on the part is: DELCO GM 2N1168 6547
>
> any information would be appreciated. could this be an injector driver?
>
> -jake
This is, according to my information and first impression, a Germanium
PNP power transistor - ECG equivalent #121. Collector to base volts 65,
collector to emmitter volts 45, baseto emitter volts 15,ax collectot
current 7 amps, max dissipation 30 watts, goog up to 22 Khz, in a TO3
case. A silicon transistoe would be much better
--
                               _/\_

                       ISP trouble again!!!
                I am now clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
              Hopefully Snyder.on.ca will be back up soon

                           Clare Snyder
                         Waterloo, Ontario