O2 sensor bias

John Wickerham ibeme at glasscity.net
Fri Aug 28 15:47:56 GMT 1998

Bruce,

Snip snip

>>The point I'm making is that biasing the O2 sensor will do more
>>than shorten the pulse width of the injectors.  There may be
>>other side effects that negate what you're trying to do.

>How were you doing this biasing?.  At some time in the future
>might make for a rainy day Bench Project.

Well, I didn't create the circuit myself.  I bought it for $49.95
(I think) from George Wiseman.  His web site is www.eagle-research.com.
He's into different ways to get better gas mileage and this device
was an attempt to do that.

Forgive my terminology - I'm not EE.  But here's what the circuit
does:  A capacitor is wired in series (I think) with the O2 sensor.
Then, a 555 timer generates a varying current at a high frequency.
This is put through an isolation transformer (1:1 I think).  The
current from this goes through a variable resistor so you can
adjust the voltage level.  Then it is wired into the capacitor so
that the additional voltage is added to the O2 voltage.  Since a
capacitor is used, it takes the oscillating voltage you're adding
and removes the ripples.

George's price is cheap and for me, it would have been a waste of
time and money to build myself.

Later,
John