O2 sensor bias

Walter Petermann corsaro at brokersys.com
Fri Aug 28 18:36:54 GMT 1998

John,
I suspect that the egr is increased when the computer spends more time
leaning than it does richening. In other words, it's not increasing
egr in response to a shorter pulse, but to increased duration of
the richening cycle versus the leaning cycle.
These are the reasons (those with knowledge of GM ecm insides correct me)

To know that the injector duration is smaller than it should be the
ecm would need to be constantly comparing actual pulse duration with
a reference fuel map. As I understand it though, the inj duration is
already generated from the reference fuel map.

>From my experience with L-jet cars, 0-30 accelerations seem to be made
lean on purpose, probably for better city mileage numbers. If this
is the same for GM cars, the extra time the O2 spends lean during
acceleration is probably used as a trigger for increased egr. I can
see this being extended to all driving conditions: any time the 02
spends more time lean than rich, the egr is activated until the
lean and rich times are equal. If the added 02 circuit unbalances
these times, for all conditions and at all times, then the ecm would
just keep increasing the egr until it's maxed out.

It would be nice to be able to take a look at this 02 circuit add-on
and get an idea of exactly what it's doing, but I couldn't find it
on the web site you mentioned. Seems like what is needed (at least
to see if it fixes the egr problem) is a circuit that changes the
o2 voltage but somehow makes the ecm cycle evenly.

As someone used to be fond of saying, maybe the above is just a
brain f@#t! Any comments?

 Walter

..