Turbocharging a CPI Vortec

Mike Pitts mpitts at mail.emi.net
Mon Aug 31 00:38:07 GMT 1998

Hello,

I would like to get any words of wisdom about a pet project I am
embarking on.  The project consists of turbocharging a 1993 Olds
Bravada with the 4.3L Vortec CPI engine.

I don't think the actual mechanics of the job won't be that tuff, but
the EFI aspects may be.  The truck uses the 8625 PCM.

I figure my options are:

1) Figure out a way to use a 2 bar MAP sensor with the 8625 PCM.

2) Find some sort of additional injector controller which uses MAP,
TPS and RPM as inputs.

3) Use a vortech FMU.  (Restricts the fuel regulator's return line
based on boost pressure)

What I don't want to do is switch the entire FI system over the
something like the Sy/Ty's PFI  7749.  I'd rather make the setup
work with the current FI system.

I would also like to alter the transmission's shifting parameters
since these are controlled by the same PCM.

If anyone has some code from this PCM, I would gladly trade info
on the '7148 for it.

Also, several years ago I got Diacom.  I haven't used it much, but
I think it only goes up to 1991.  Is there an updated program I can
get?  Or better yet, can I simply read the ALDL stream with my
laptop's serial port?  (I do know how to set the UART up to read at
8192 baud as well as construct a TTL->RS232 circuit using a
MAX233 chip).

As usual, I will be sure to share any info learned from this project.

TIA,
-Mike
Mike Pitts
Delray Beach, FL