Retrofit TBI to MGB

Jurgen Hartwig gt0003a at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 31 21:26:23 GMT 1998

Hi all, I have decided to take up a project to install fuel injection in my MGB.  It has a 1.8L, in-line four cylinder with siamesed intake for cylinders 1,2 and 3,4.  I have done a small amount of study and have concluded that a throttle body injection system would be the easiest to implement.

Basically, I'm looking for advice about conversion.  Am I crazy to try to take on such a project?

I am considering air flow flap vs. MAP sensor.  Any comments?  I realize that the air flow valve can restrict flow, but we are talking about an engine that is only 95 HP or so, not a fire-breathing behemoth.

I am looking for an existing fuel injection system from a more modern auto with a similar sized displacement and HP.  If I just use a fuel injection system, with regular mechanical distributor, would I need to consider any other factors?

I'm hoping that I can find a system from a Ford, GM, or European auto with Bosch system.  Can anyone recommend systems to consider or avoid?

Lastly, what literature would you guys recommend I get.  I'm a civil engineer by schooling, but I can understand some electronics.  My goal, if I can get a system to work, would be to eventually work on a system which would allow tuning of the computer.  Therefore, I'd like a book that is thorough in basic theory, but also covers the workings of the computers.  Is there such an all-encompassing book?

Thanks for your time

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.