Alcohol - EFI

goflo at pacbell.net goflo at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 4 17:29:39 GMT 1998

Jemison Richard wrote:

> Sure they weren't running nitro?

Yes. Have seen Webers pretty rotted out by alcohol. Alcohol is quite
hygroscopic, so water content may be a factor, but I suspect a galvanic
couple between the Zinc in the carb, fuel pump, and the other metals in
the fuel system, with alcohol as the electrolyte.

> Alcohol is what hospitals used to use to
> disinfect rubber IV tubing (before it was disposable), rubber instrument
> parts, etc.  Never ate anything.  At least not isopropyl.  Methanol is very
> close to ethanol (the stuff you settle back with after a hard day).  I'm not
> absolutely sure but isn't rubbing alcohol methanol?

It is here, in the US - Internal rub is the other kind :)

> Nitromethane will DEFINITELY provide the damage you describe and in short
> order!

No nitro experience, but that's what I've heard too.

Jack