Alcohol - EFI

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Fri Dec 4 17:36:09 GMT 1998

Richard,

> Sure they weren't running nitro.  Alcohol is what hospitals used to use to
> disinfect rubber IV tubing (before it was disposable), rubber instrument
> parts, etc.  Never ate anything.  At least not isopropyl.  Methanol is very
> close to ethanol (the stuff you settle back with after a hard day).  I'm not
> absolutely sure but isn't rubbing alcohol methanol?
>
> Nitromethane will DEFINITELY provide the damage you describe and in short
> order!

The alcohol that is used in racecars is Methanol and _is_ very dry.  It
will dry out neoprene hoses in a season and wear injectors quickly if it
is run straight up (with no lubricants).  Fortunately there are many
good additives to help with the problems of methanol these days.  There
is still the problem with oil contamination though.  Racecars that run
methanol usually have to get oil changes every race or at the most,
every couple of races or the oil starts looking very milky.  Note that
these are carbureted cars and an EFI engine may not exhibit the same
problems.  I have never actually seen anyone run EFI on methanol, though
have heard about it plenty.  John Meaney and Bob Norwood come to mind as
having quite a bit of experience with alcohol EFI projects.

Isopropyl is rubbing alcohol...dunno how that would work in an engine.
Evidently not all that well since I never hear of anyone using it.

Later dates.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man ICQ:8353618
'95 Black Impala SS