Resend:Truck Rear Ends

Gwyn Reedy mgr at mgrcorp.com
Sat Dec 5 22:38:54 GMT 1998

I recently blew away my address list and have been rebuilding it, apparently
not too accurately! First time I sent this message out I got a lot of 'wrong
address - send it again' messages. Apologies to those who see it the second
time.

MGR

I wish I had a list of what rear ends are typically used in which trucks.

For example, there was a recent post about finned differential covers and
the web site mentions support for Dana 44, 60, 70, and 80 rear ends. I don't
know which of those is half ton, or 3/4 or one ton etc, nor which brand uses
what model.  I'm also am aware of some models of GM corporate rear ends.

I was looking for a one ton rear end for a project truck. Found one with a
3.73 ratio, which was what I wanted. Only then did I realize it did not have
full floating axles, but has the bearings riding on the axle shaft itself.
The seller said most of the 1 ton and smaller rears have been that way for
10 years. Since then I eyeball every truck I see on the road, and some have
full floating axles, most do not. Thus my interest in what rear end is what.

Separate but related issue: With the weight bearing axle type of rear end,
when the axle surface becomes worn, is there commonly available a resurfaced
axle or do you just put in a new axle?

Any information will be appreciated. I'd really love to find some web site
where it has all been researched, but doubt that exists.

Yet another question: Anyone have internet sources for rear end components
(new or used) for medium trucks (like my Chevy C-50s)?  I'm curious if
different gear ratios are available and what a ring and pinion for a 20,000
pound rating rear end might cost. Reason for this - I drive the C-50 almost
exclusively on the highway. Never need to use the granny low gear, almost
never need even a 2nd gear, low range rear end start. And the engine roars
at 4000 rpm at 65-70 mph. I'd really like to get about a 20-25% higher rear
end ratio. With a 5 speed trans and 2 speed rear there are plenty of options
to shift down a bit for hills etc. Just don't need the axle busting 45-1
overall ratio you get in low-low.

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
Chevy Trucks: '38 and '46 Ton and a half
              '70 and '71 2 Ton (C-50)
              '66 C-10 (all apart)
              '72 Cheyenne half ton
              '69 El Camino SS396 (apart)