Resend:Truck Rear Ends

Jon Galadar at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 6 17:39:36 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Gwyn Reedy <mgr at mgrcorp.com>
To: Sixties Truck List <sixtiestrucks-l at chevytrucks.org>; DIY-EFI List
<diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>; Diesel Page List
<diesel at dfw-webmasters.com>; CK Series List <ckseries at f-body.org>; Antique
Tractor List <antique-tractor at atis.net>
Date: Saturday, December 05, 1998 5:42 PM
Subject: Resend:Truck Rear Ends

<Snip>

>I was looking for a one ton rear end for a project truck. Found one with a
>3.73 ratio, which was what I wanted. Only then did I realize it did not
have
>full floating axles, but has the bearings riding on the axle shaft itself.
>The seller said most of the 1 ton and smaller rears have been that way for
>10 years. Since then I eyeball every truck I see on the road, and some have
>full floating axles, most do not. Thus my interest in what rear end is
what.

>Separate but related issue: With the weight bearing axle type of rear end,
>when the axle surface becomes worn, is there commonly available a
resurfaced
>axle or do you just put in a new axle?

<Snip>

    My experience has only been on 1/2 and 3/4 ton stuff, but they all use
bearing-on-axle type setup. When (not if) the bearing goes out, it takes the
axle out with it (leaves deep groove). There are special offset bearings
available at a cheaper cost than a new axle and bearing. I have had good
luck with them. HTH
Jon