EFI on a Dodge 318

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Dec 7 17:05:07 GMT 1998

Howdy,

>You did not say whether the truck is an automatic or manual tranny.

The truck is a manual 4-speed, with granny gears and slightly bent shifting
forks, which I have to fix.

>Whatever else you do to the engine, the 383 (B) big blcok is the one to
>use--but unfortunately the bell housing has a different bolt pattern. You

This I'm anticipating.  I shall be seeking out in a junkyard this coming
weekend while on a trip to NC to find the appropriate tranny & bellhousing,
and flywheel for the 383.  The 383 I have has a flexplate currently.  I did
buy the engine after all for a mere $75 for a running, but greasy, engine.
Tested it and it runs fine with no leaks.  Good enough to use as a
foundation for a rebuild.

>will need a TF 727 housing for a B-RB motor (not a hard core to find in
>bone-yards on a car) , as your existing truck tailshaft and tailshaft
>housing will assemble into the other case. A bell housing for a manual

This is good information.  I was worried I'd have to have a custom
driveshaft, or half shaft made, since the driveshaft on this truck is two
pieces, with a center pivot of some sort in the middle, attached to the
frame.  I could have the first shaft shortened if the new tranny is longer.

>413, 426 or 440 from a car. If you can find a 440 out of a motorhome or the
>like, the block is way stouter than those in a car (for boost

Yes, like you said, out of a motorhome.  This would be ideal, and it was an
option for this truck that year (at least the 440).  I will see what I can
find.

>out for 8 bolt crank flanges, as opposed to six bolt ones. Flywheels/flex
>plates for the eight bolt units are tough to find.

Yes, however see my last message regarding a flexplate - maybe that will
help you use the crank you mentioned in your other message.  Worse case, I
can buy this flexplate for 72 bucks, and have a custom flywheel made to
match the bolt pattern on the crank for several hundred dollars, using the
ring gear from something.

>truck type crank!! Somebody will have a detail to prove me wrong, but

All I can say at this point is "yikes".  This truck is going to be utilized
as a "serious" hauler, once I get the appropriate engine into it.  This is
why I sought out a used 3/4 ton truck rather than a 1/4 ton - 5th wheel
hitch time!

>Even the 383 B you have, with no boost, will put the 318 to shame in terms
>of all-around truck/towing performance, no matter what you do to the 318!!

After driving this around, I think any engine would put the 318 to shame
performance wise.  Though the compression is very good forgetting that it
has 100k miles on it without a rebuild, blowing no smoke.  The engine did
what its supposed to do, and is known for - reliable and last.  just that
the truck has absolutely no pickup (no pun intended).

>applications--at least the equal of a big block Ford. Would not say the
>same for a 318, let alone if boosted.

Thanks for your suggestions Greg - this is going to be a fun winter
project.  I'll find what I can in various boneyards, then get involved in
the EFI thing.  More than likely, I'll be doing the Haltech system, maybe
even a GM truck EFI system from a GM truck.

Ideally what I wanted is the tuned port injection on camaros, but I haven't
figured out how to fangle the Accel aftermarket runners to the Chrysler 318
manifold, eventually to be the 383 intake manifold.  Should be an
interesting situation :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Fairfield County CT
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/