EFI on a Dodge 318

Jefferson S Creech JCreech1 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Dec 7 18:24:29 GMT 1998

> Message text written by INTERNET:diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>>>will need a TF 727 housing for a B-RB motor (not a hard core to find in
>>bone-yards on a car) , as your existing truck tailshaft and tailshaft
>>housing will assemble into the other case. A bell housing for a manual

>This is good information.  I was worried I'd have to have a custom
>driveshaft, or half shaft made, since the driveshaft on this truck is two
>pieces, with a center pivot of some sort in the middle, attached to the
>frame.  I could have the first shaft shortened if the new tranny is
longer.<

Not too many years ago , I replaced the Tranny in my '82 D-150. I found out
the
 hard way that  the tail shaft on the 904 that I replaced the 727 that was
behind the
slant-6 had a shorter tailshaft . Simple , I thought , just find a 727 to
fit a slant-6 .
Found one in a car , bought it , installed  it , and the tailshaft was
still too short .
By this time my original Tranny was long since gone . I finally found the
correct
one at a local rebuilder . Be sure to check all the lengths on any Trans
you're
thinking of buying . this ended up costing me over $800 for what would have
been
under $350 if I'd gone ahead and had the "expensive" rebuild done , instead
of
going the "cheap" way out with the boneyard solution . This of course was
with
a slant-6 , The 383 (or any B or RB) may only have one size (length) for
the 727
between cars and trucks . I do know you will only find the 727 behind  a
big block .
By the way , the 383 (B) and 426 (RB , both Wedge and Hemi ) have a 4.250"
stock
bore size , not 4.125 as previously reported .

HTH
Scott