EFI on a Dodge 318

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Mon Dec 7 20:40:46 GMT 1998

>> Message text written by INTERNET:diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>>>bone-yards on a car) , as your existing truck tailshaft and tailshaft
>>>housing will assemble into the other case. A bell housing for a manual
>
>>This is good information.  I was worried I'd have to have a custom
>>driveshaft, or half shaft made, since the driveshaft on this truck is two
>>pieces, with a center pivot of some sort in the middle, attached to the
>>frame.  I could have the first shaft shortened if the new tranny is
>longer.<
>
>Not too many years ago , I replaced the Tranny in my '82 D-150. I found out
>the
> hard way that  the tail shaft on the 904 that I replaced the 727 that was
>behind the
>slant-6 had a shorter tailshaft . Simple , I thought , just find a 727 to
>fit a slant-6 .
>Found one in a car , bought it , installed  it , and the tailshaft was
>still too short .
>By this time my original Tranny was long since gone . I finally found the
>correct
>one at a local rebuilder . Be sure to check all the lengths on any Trans
>you're
>thinking of buying . this ended up costing me over $800 for what would have
>been
>under $350 if I'd gone ahead and had the "expensive" rebuild done , instead
>of
>going the "cheap" way out with the boneyard solution . This of course was
>with
>a slant-6 , The 383 (or any B or RB) may only have one size (length) for
>the 727
>between cars and trucks . I do know you will only find the 727 behind  a
>big block .
>By the way , the 383 (B) and 426 (RB , both Wedge and Hemi ) have a 4.250"
>stock
>bore size , not 4.125 as previously reported .

Tail shafts for 727's and 904's are different at the front, but same at the
back for the different lengths. Tail shaft housings for 727's and 904's
will interchange. You may need to use a different ball bearing for the
tailshaft in different situations, but catalogue bearings that will fit are
available. I have done this to put a DANA 300 transfer case behind a 727 in
a Scout using a tailshaft housing from a 904 in a Cherokee (with an NP
trans case!) combined with a tailshaft for a 727 which matched up (obtained
from a rebuilder.)

Regards, Greg