optispark components

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Dec 7 23:47:39 GMT 1998

From: David Curtis <spdrcr at flash.net>
Subject: re: optispark components

>David Cooley, you wrote:

Snip

  My dad's cost on the thing is about $340.00...
>retail is $450+ from the dealer. Cleaning would be the only option, but
>if the sensor is bad, or the "cap" and/or rotor is carbon tracked,
>you're in for a replacement unit.
>Later,
>Dave<<
>  Dave,
>   I just replaced the cap and rotor on my '96 Impala SS, as it was
>carbon tracked, as well as wet from a water pump melt down.
>  I walked into my local Chevy parts counter, and after much searching
>throuhg obscure computer pages as well as hard copies of parts books, we
>found the thing.   I paid $128 for a '96 cap and rotor for my '96
>optispark.

You paid how much?.  Did you get lunch with that?.  No ill will meant
just those prices, just seem out of line to me.  Like these $8 spark
plugs warrantied for 100K miles, hell they can go bad several times
and still break even on warranty.

>  I will admit that when i first started calling around for the parts, 3
>Chevy dealers said "no way..have to replace the whole thing."

, no
>matter what the problem, under warranty, so that's what comes up in the
>computer/parts books.

Bzzzzt, if gm is buying parts under warranty they are dirt cheap, ie
slightly over cost since they pay a slight markup.

>   If you give me a few days, I can dig out the paper work and pass
>along a part number for the cap and rotor kit from GM.

That would be handy to have, archived somewhere
Bruce